The mosque contains the most elaborate display of tile-work in the Indo-Pakistan sub-continent.
The two main chambers, in particular, are entirely covered with them. Their domes have been exquisitely laid with a mosaic of radiating blue and white tiles. Stylish floral patterns, akin the seventeenth century Kashi work of Iran, decorate the spandrels of the main arches and elsewhere geometrical designs on square tiles are disposed in a series of panels.
It was built in the reign of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan, in 1647 and is located in Thatta, Sindh province, Pakistan. It has been on the tentative UNESCO World Heritage list since 1993.
There is a lot of use of red bricks with blue coloured glaze tiles probably imported from another Sindh’s town of Hala. The mosque has overall 100 domes and is one the few mosques having such number of domes. It has been built keeping acoustics in mind. A person speaking inside one end of the dome can be heard at the other end.